Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled,seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 lb lentils, picked over and rinsed
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head escarole, 1 pound
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, celery and carrots.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes longer.
- Add lentils and 6 cups cold water to the pot.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, partially covered, until the lentils are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, wash escarole leaves, stack and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips.
- When the lentils are tender, stir in the escarole.
- Return the soup to a simmer; cook until the escarole is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with cheese and serve.