Recipe by alvinakatz
Love love love this recipe from Peru. It's part Latin flavors part Chinese flavors. If you can't find ajis amarillos chili peppers, try substituting ancho or even just green bell, if you like things mild. This is an adaptation of [url=]http://www.food.com/recipe/lomo-saltado-peruvian-beef-and-potato-stir-fry-456482[/url]
Top Review by sofie-a-toast
This was absolutely delicious and addictive! Such a complex taste with so few sauce ingredients. The potatoes especially soaked up the flavors in a great way. Will make this again and again.
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced thick
- 1 lb marinated tofu
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -3 ajis amarillos chili peppers (Peruvian peppers) or 2 -3 other chili peppers, seeded and cut into strips
- 3 roma tomatoes, seeded and cut into strips
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb French fries, freshly cooked
- 6 cups hot cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the French fries and rice and keep hot.
- Cut the tofu into strips about 2 inches long and 1/4 inch thick. Cut the mushrooms into biggish pieces. Saute in hot oil the tofu & the mushrooms together for about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Add more oil to the pot or wok if needed and return it to high heat. Add the onion, peppers and garlic and stir fry until the onion is cooked through, but still a little crunchy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, soy sauce, vinegar, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper and stir fry for about 1 minute more. Return the tofu/mushrooms to the pot or wok, along with the French fries and toss everything together to heat through and mingle the flavors. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Place a big scoop of rice on each diner's plate and serve the lomo saltado over the rice.