Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From: "The Vegetarian Epicure" by Anna Thomas, first edition 1972. This book was a real find! Serve with coarse-textured black bread, crackers, fresh veggies or pickled veggies. Also a good accompaniment to soup.
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese (or a mix) or 16 ounces cottage cheese (or a mix) or 16 ounces cream cheese, softened (or a mix)
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons French mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon currants or 1 tablespoon dates, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon capers, rinsed
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, lots to taste
- 1 -2 tablespoon black olives, chopped
- paprika, to garnish
- 2 -3 hard-boiled eggs, sliced to garnish
- 2 tablespoons pimientos, sliced to garnish
- Beat together cheese and butter until smooth.
- Stir in everything up to the olives (not the garnishes). Mix well and form into a mound on a small platter.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Garnish mound with sliced hard-boiled eggs and pimento slices.
- Chill for at least an hour.
This recipe intrigued me as I could not imagine how it would taste. So I tried it and was surprised how much I enjoyed it! I served with chips and pretzels. I loved all the different flavors that came through. Thanks! Made for Zaar tag.