Recipe by Dancer^
These tomatoes, stuffed with lentils and oven baked, make a great entree.
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
This is a very presentable side dish. We enjoyed it for dinner tonight and it was very tempting after fasting for the entire day to dig into with little tsps. I did increase the amount of water to 1.5 cups, used 3/4tsp. of salt, 1/4 tsp. of black pepper, 1 small onion, and about 8-10 tomatoes(some medium and some small-sized). I didn't have mint leaves on hand, so I substituted those with dried thyme leaves. I substituted the butter with Sunflower cooking oil. Steps 12,13 and 14 didn't make alot of sense to me, so I didn't do those. Instead I saved the tomato middle to use in another dish. Overall, a good dish! Thank you for sharing, Auntie Janette!
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked white rice
- 1⁄4 cup red lentil
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- ground black pepper
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 clove crushed garlic
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse rice and lentils in a strainer.
- Place in a small saucepan and stir in boiling water, cover.
- Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, melt butter or margarine in a saute pan.
- Add onion, and saute until golden brown over medium low heat.
- Stir in lentil mixture and mint.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Slice the tops off tomatoes, and reserve.
- Scoop out the middles, and reserve.
- Fill tomato shells with lentil mixture, and replace the tops.
- Stand in a baking dish.
- Chop reserved tomato middles, and place in a small bowl.
- Mix in oil and garlic.
- Pour around the stuffed tomatoes.
- Bake in a preheated 450 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and serve.