Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (, about 2 medium)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups coarsely chopped potatoes (, about 2 medium)
- 1 cup dried lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mace
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, cut in half
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Saute onions and garlic in oil.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; break up tomatoes.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender.
This was unusual in that it wasn't a heavy tomato base, which is what I like and am used to.However, I had 3 bowls and it was delicious, almost "rustic" and, as usual, tasted even better the next day. I served this with a loaf of Tuscan bread and spinach salad. Perfect!
This is real comfort food. Didn't have mace, never cooked with it before, so I improvised threw in turmeric, chilli powder and ginger as well the cumin. Also added green beans for a bit of colour. Will definitely cook again.
What a great stew! I didn't have mace and didn't know what it was. It wasn't hard to make and everyone loved it! Thanks for posting this recipe!