Recipe by ChefJenny
This sauce can be frozen and saved for later. It is a hearty vegetarian meal that is easy to make. Lentils are a good source of protein, fiber, iron, folate, and B vitamins. They are also relatively inexpensive.
Top Review by sconehead
Everyone really enjoyed this! I used my pressure cooker to get it done faster, but otherwise I followed recipe as is! Thanks! We will definitely be putting this into the dinner rotation. I divided the sauce in half and froze for use another time.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups lentils, rinsed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Italian spices
- 1 (28 ounce) canwhole plum tomatoes in puree
- coarse salt
- black pepper
- 2⁄3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs angel hair pasta or 1 1⁄2 lbs preferred pasta
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil over a medium heat in a large pot.
- Add onion, carrots, and garlic to the pot and stir about 5 minutes.
- Add lentils and Italian seasoning.
- Cook and stir until lentils are covered about 2 minutes.
- Break plum tomatoes with hand and add to previous mixture with puree.
- Add 4 cups of water and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer.
- Stir occasionally for about 45 minutes until lentils break down and become tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat.
- If eating right away, add yogurt. If you freeze, do not add yogurt yet.
- Prepare pasta in large pot of boiling water with a little salt according to instructions.
- Stir pasta in sauce.
- Top with grated Parmesan if you prefer.