Recipe by COOKGIRl
An adapted recipe from Mollie Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook as posted in our local newspaper. This would be exceptional with a slice of hearty dark rye bread and stewed pears!
- 3 cups dried lentils
- 7 cups water or 7 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 stalks celery, with leaves
- 2 medium carrots (sliced or diced)
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 -3 medium tomatoes
- dark balsamic vinegar
- fresh basil leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot pour 7 cups water or vegetable broth; add the lentils and salt. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer; covered 20-30 minutes.
- Add the vegetables, (except for the tomatoes), the herbs and black pepper. Cover pot and allow to simmer another 20-30 minutes, stirring occasinally.
- Heat a medium saucepan full of water to boiling. Drop in the tomatoes for 10 seconds. Remove from the water, peel off the skins, and squeeze out the seeds. (You can also use a microwave to loosen the tomato skins if you wish.).
- Chop the tomatoes and add to the soup. Let soup cook another 5 minutes until heated through. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Serve hot with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and a few fresh basil leaves.