Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 3 cups cooked black lentils
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup toasted fine breadcrumbs (whole-grain)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (or clarified butter)
- Combine the lentils, eggs, and salt in a food processor. Puree until the mixture is the consistency of a runny yet textured hummus. Pour into a mixing bowl and stir in the onion. Add the breadcrumbs, stir, and let sit for a couple of minutes so the crumbs can absorb some of the moisture.
- At this point, you should have a very moist mixture that you can easily form into twelve 1 1/2-inch-thick patties. You can always add more bread crumbs a bit at a time to firm up the dough if need be. Conversely, a bit of water or more egg can be used to moisten the batter.
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium low, add 4 patties, cover, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, until the bottoms begin to brown. Turn up the heat if there is no browning after 10 minutes. Flip the patties and cook the second side for 7 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the skillet and cool on a wire rack while you cook the remaining patties. Carefully cut each patty in half, insert your favorite fillings, and enjoy immediately.
I used a few different spices (pepper, cumin, oregano) with Italian breadcrumbs. Excellent consistency, which is hard to come by with veggie burgers. I will make these again!
Simple and delicious. I sauteed the onion with some other chopped veggies and garlic. I also grilled the burgers. My kids ate them up.