Recipe by Gingerbear
This recipe says to make lasagna with dry noodles but I ALWAYS cook mine first in water until they are at least half way done. I have made a lasagna one time and did not cook the noodles first and the noodles were not done at the end. Just thought that I would warn you if you were not aware of what could happen.
- 1 (1 lb) box lasagna noodle
- 6 cups marinara sauce (store bought or see recipe below)
- 24 ounces low fat cottage cheese (for a richer texture, use ricotta cheese)
- 32 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped herbs (basil, oregano, or thyme)
- 2 eggplants, cut into circular slices, 1/8 inch thick
- 6 -8 zucchini, cut lengthwise into slices, 1/8 inch thick
- 5 -6 portabella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup chopped basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté or oven-roast the vegetables until they are cooked through.
- Set aside.
- To make the marinara sauce, begin by heating the olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and stir until golden brown.
- Add the garlic and tomatoes and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Stir in the basil and add salt and pepper to taste, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In the bottom of a 16" x 12" pan (a disposable pan is best), place a layer of dry noodles.
- On top of that, add about 1/3 of the marinara sauce, about 1/2 of the cottage cheese, and about 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle herbs over the top, and add a layer of vegetables.
- Repeat the process.
- Finish with a layer of noodles, then top with tomato sauce and a thick layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap, then wrap tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a knife pokes easily through the lasagna.
- Remove the plastic and foil and bake at 450° for 10 minutes, or until the top is browned.
- Remove lasagna from the oven and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves or other fresh herbs.
- (You can double the recipe to make 2 lasagnas and freeze an uncooked one. Bake the frozen lasagna for 50 minutes instead of 35).