Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Healthy and reduced carb, great for diabetics.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 24 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Splenda granular
- 1 egg
- 15 ounces low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 globe eggplant, sliced thin (may sprinkle with salt, allow to sit for 30 minutes, then rinse and pat dry, if desired)
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced thin
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 16 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil and add onions, cooking until translucent.
- Add red pepper, fennel, basil, oregano, garlic, tomato sauce and Splenda, stirring well.
- Simmer sauce over low heat, covered, for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, mix egg together with ricotta cheese and parmesan until smooth; set aside.
- Slice eggplant, zucchini and mushrooms.
- Spread approx 1/3 of the sauce mixture evenly into the bottom of a large rectangular casserole dish or lasagna pan.
- Add eggplant slices in an even layer.
- Top eggplant with the ricotta cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle with sliced mushrooms, then add another third of the sauce.
- Sprinkle with 8 ounces of the mozzarella cheese.
- Layer the sliced zucchini evenly over the cheese.
- Pat mixture down.
- Add the remaining sauce, the remaining 8 ounces mozzarella, and the remaining 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- Pat mixture down again.
- Cover pan with foil and bake at 350°F for 50 minutes.
- Remove foil from pan and bake for 30-40 minutes more, or until cheese is golden and vegetables are tender.
- Allow to sit undisturbed for 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
The flavors were absolutely wonderful! I only gave it 4 stars because the amount of tomato sauce was not listed and my version came out rather soupy, even after letting it cool for 20 minutes. I used 1 1/2 - 24 oz. jars of tom sauce. Couple things I did differently: only used 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, omitted fennel seeds, and didn't add the Splenda. Oh, and I did not divide the parmesan cheese, I just added it all in with the ricotta. Not sure what to do differently next time to make it less soupy, but I will try it again because it tastes SO good! Thanks!