Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
A nice vegetarian meal that is low fat, high in fiber, and healthy carbs. For a tasty side dish, add a dish of cole slaw. Recipe adapted from Mayo Clinic.com's healthy recipes.
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 8 button mushrooms
- 1 small zucchini, sliced into 8 pieces
- 1 red onion, cut into 4 wedges
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 4 pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 4 pieces
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 4 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes or 4 metal skewers
- In a large sealable plastic bag add tomatoes, mushrooms, zucchini, onion and peppers. Pour italian dressing over vegetables and shake to coat well. Marinate at least 10 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan over high heat combine the rice and water, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover simmering until the water is absorbed and rice is tender, approximately 30 minutes. Transfer rice to a small bowl and keep warm.
- Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal/gas grill or broiler. Lightly coat grill rack or broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray, spraying away from heat source. Adjust cooking rack at least 4 to 6 inches away from the heat.
- Thread 2 tomatoes, mushrooms, zucchini slices and 1 onion wedge, green pepper and red pepper onto each soaked or metal skewer.
- Place kebabs on the grill rack/broiler pan and baste with leftover marinade.
- Grill/broil the kebabs until the vegetables are tender, turning as needed, approximately 5 to 8 minutes. Divide rice onto 2 plates, top with 2 kebabs and serve immediately.