This is from the Sandwich King using plantains, fried and flattened out as the bread for the sandwich. Love it. I knew I had to do this but make it vegetarian. Traditionally made with ham, this recipe uses vegetarian ham or sausage. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 green plantains, cut in half and then halved lengthwise
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- granulated garlic, for seasoning
- 4 slices American cheese
- 4 -8 slices vegetarian ham (or use vegetarian sausages)
- 1 beefsteak tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 vibrant leaves iceberg lettuce
- 1Heat the oil in a Dutch oven to 375 degrees F. Fry 4 pieces of plantains until they float to the surface, about 2 minutes. Drain on a paper towel and repeat with the remaining 4 pieces. Using 2 wooden cutting boards or a heavy pan, flatten each piece of plantain. Refry each piece of flattened plantain, in batches, until golden, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and a little granulated garlic. Set aside on a paper towel.
- 2For the sandwich build: On the bottom of 4 fried plantains (or tostones), place a slice of American cheese, a quarter of the vegetarian ham or sausage, a quarter of the tomatoes and 1 lettuce leaf. Spread the Garlic Mayo on the top tostones and close. Cut in half on the bias. Pick up gently but bite aggressively.
- 3Garlic Mayo:
- 4In a bowl, mix together the mayo, chili powder, cumin, garlic and a little salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Jamon Jibaritos
Serving Size: 1 (420 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2322.1
- Calories from Fat 2174
- Total Fat 241.6 g
- Saturated Fat 33.4 g
- Cholesterol 24.3 mg
- Sodium 566.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 18.1 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: