A meatless version of a Louisiana staple. It is thick so thin it with water if desired. Serve with garlic bread. You can use regular brown rice, but it takes longer.
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking brown rice
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded
- 1 (16 ounce) can black-eyed peas, Drained
- parsley, chopped, For garnish
- chives, chopped, for garnish
- Combine tomatoes, broth, rice, garlic, bay leaves, basil, thyme and hot pepper sauce in a lage saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower heat to a simmer and cook until rice is done, about 15 minutes for quick cooking rice or 50 minutes for regular brown rice.
- When rice is cooked, cut green pepper into 1 inch pieces and stir into stew Stir in black eyed peas, cover and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring once.
- Remove and discard bay leaves. Sprinkle with parsley and or chives, if desired.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with garlic bread.