Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Quick and easy dish.
Make and share this Vegetarian Jambalaya recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup onion
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained, chopped
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 15 ounces canned kidney beans
- 1⁄2 cup canned peas
- 4 vegetarian sausages
- Place onions, green peppers, celery and garlic in a medium saucepan and saute for 5 minutes. Add stock, tomatoes, rice, salt, thyme and chili powder. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer about 20 minutes. About 5 minutes before the rice is done, add beans and peas. Simmer until the rice is done and peas are heated through.
I was looking for a one dish meal that uses up my open can of beans, and this was a great base for what I had! I used onion, carrot, celery and garlic, added some chopped bell peppers and fresh parsley I needed to use up, can of crushed tomatoes, bulgur (cracked wheat) instead of rice, water instead of stock, canned baked beans, salt, thyme. The result was tasty and very satisfying. And healthy too! Thank you so much for posting!