Recipe by An_Net
True jambalaya uses sausages, shrimp and chicken. This rich vegetarian recipe version uses beans to provide meaty texture and flavor - with no meat.
Top Review by Stardustannie
Ah, loved it! Great as a vegetarian main or served as a side with chicken breast or steak. I upped the seasonings slightly but otherwise made as directed. Made a great mid week meal, thanks for sharing.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 400 g diced tomatoes, undrained
- 250 g tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 440 g butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 440 g red beans, rinsed and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, green bell pepper, celery, and garlic in hot oil until tender, about 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add water, tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, cayenne and fennel seed.
- Bring to a boil and add rice. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until rice is tender, stirring frequently.
- Add beans and cover. Simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until well heated, stirring frequently.