Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an adaption of a south beach recipe. I promise meat eaters won't miss the beef!!
- 3 large eggplants
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) package soy crumbles (boca brand)
- 1 cup pecorino romano cheese, grated
- 3 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wash and pierce each eggplant 3 or 4 times.
- Roast eggplant for 45 minutes to an hour turning a few times.
- Meanwhile heat oil in large fry pan, add onion and green pepper. Sauté 20 to 25 minutes or until soft.
- Add garlic and oregano.
- Once roasted eggplant is cool enough to handle, cut in half and scoop out pulp leaving the shell intact. Place shells in large baking dish.
- Chop eggplant and add to onion mixture.
- Add tomato sauce, salt and oregano.
- Add frozen soy crumbles and heat through.
- Add 3/4 cup of cheese and mix well.
- Fill eggplant shells with mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbly.