Recipe by That is Dr House to you
From Bryanna Grogan. As she states it is her own invention of a gypsy stew [good brown stew]
Top Review by Nadine81
Really looking forward to trying this one out on my Vegitarian Au Pair. I'm Irish and regularily make stews very similar to this one, normally with beef though. Little suggestion serve with mashed potato and/or add chunks of potato to the stew.
- 2 medium onions
- 59.14 ml unbleached flour
- 946.36 ml water
- 473.18 ml mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 236.59 ml carrots or 236.59 ml parsnip, sliced
- 236.59 ml turnips or 236.59 ml rutabaga
- 236.59 ml celery, diced
- 118.29 ml split red lentils
- 118.29 ml fresh parsley
- 59.14 ml Braggs liquid aminos or 59.14 ml soy sauce
- 3 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 9.85 ml marmite
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml thyme
- 1.23 ml rosemary
- 1.23 ml marjoram
- 236.59 ml textured vegetable protein, chunks
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, lightly oiled pot steam fry the onion until it begins to soften [that means cook it in a bit of water] Add flour and stir around completely.
- Add the remaining ingredients, mix well, bring to boil. Cover and simmer on low for 30 minutes or until vegetables are done.
- Taste and season.
- Note: The turnips should be large dice. The carrots round sliced. You may use other yeast extract than marmite.
- Also look in speciality or finer food stores for the Marmite. It is a British product. I find mine in Wegmans in PA/NY.