Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Bryanna Grogan. As she states it is her own invention of a gypsy stew [good brown stew]
Make and share this Vegetarian Irish Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 medium onions
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached flour
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 cup carrots or 1 cup parsnip, sliced
- 1 cup turnips or 1 cup rutabaga
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup split red lentils
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup Braggs liquid aminos or 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 3 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons marmite
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein, chunks
- In a large, lightly oiled pot steam fry the onion until it begins to soften [that means cook it in a bit of water] Add flour and stir around completely.
- Add the remaining ingredients, mix well, bring to boil. Cover and simmer on low for 30 minutes or until vegetables are done.
- Taste and season.
- Note: The turnips should be large dice. The carrots round sliced. You may use other yeast extract than marmite.
- Also look in speciality or finer food stores for the Marmite. It is a British product. I find mine in Wegmans in PA/NY.
Really looking forward to trying this one out on my Vegitarian Au Pair. I'm Irish and regularily make stews very similar to this one, normally with beef though. Little suggestion serve with mashed potato and/or add chunks of potato to the stew.
Very good... I used a can of kidney beans instead of the TVP chunks & doubled the herbs ... It could take various combos & amounts of veggies
Superb! I am impressed. I really wasn't sure about this one. The broth sounded bland. Wasn't sure about the lentils. But it really comes out super! I made it exactly as written using rutabega and parsnips (except I substituted diced seitan for the TVP, and nutritional yeast for the maramite) At the end of the cooking time It had boiled down and I thought it was a bit thin. So I added another 1/4 cup lentils, a cup of carrots and another cup of mushrooms. I left it to simmer on low heat for about another 40 minutes. The house smelled wonderful! This is just like regular old fashion stew!