1/5 Photos of Vegetarian Indonesian Curried Bean Stew
Flavorful, filling, healthy and delicious, this is more colorful and interesting than basic beans and rice...kidneys, black beans, garbanzos, spices and a dollop of peanut butter make this dish awesome, and it's easy to make! Seems a bit thicker than a stew to me. Oh, and my toddler loves it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1Cook the rice according to package directions.
- 2While the rice cooks, begin heating the oil over medium heat in an extra-deep, non-stick skillet.
- 3Peel and coarsely chop the onion, adding it to the skillet as you chop.
- 4Cook the onion, stirring from time to time, while you rinse and seed the bell pepper, and cut it into bite-sized pieces. Add them to the skillet.
- 5Add the garlic.
- 6Cook one minute, stirring frequently.
- 7Add the kidney beans with their juices to the skillet.
- 8Add the tomatoes with their juices.
- 9Stir well, and continue to cook over medium heat.
- 10Pour the black beans and garbanzos into a colander, rinse them under tap water and set aside to drain.
- 11Add the peanut butter, curry powder, cumin and ginger to the skillet. Stir thoroughly (but gently so as to not break up the beans), making sure the peanut butter is well blended.
- 12Add the rinsed and drained black beans and garbanzos to the skillet and stir again thoroughly.
- 13Reduce the heat to low, and simmer uncovered until the rice is done.
- 14Serve the stew over hot steamed rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Indonesian Curried Bean Stew
Serving Size: 1 (588 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 869.5
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 387.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 158.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 24.6 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 32.9 g