Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great, easy Indian dish - and totally vegetarian. Increase cayenne to give it more heat. I serve this over basmati rice.
- 1 lb potato, sliced thickly
- 1 lb green beans, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 3⁄4 lb zucchini, sliced
- 1 lb spinach, washed and coarsely chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 4 tablespoons chopped green chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup water
- Boil potatoes in salted water for 5 minutes only, drain, set aside.
- Boil green beans for 5 min, set aside.
- Slice zucchini thickly.Melt butter in large pot.
- Saute onion and garlic until onions begin to color. Add spices (with salt &pepper to taste) and saute for a few minutes.
- Add prepared vegetables, ginger, chilis, lemon juice & water. Stir thoroughly and simmer, stirring frequently, until most of the water is gone and vegetables are just tender.
Delicious! I was looking for a recipe that would allow me to use up some leftover green beans and spinach in the refrigerator. I modified the recipe somewhat. I didn't have zucchini or paprika. I cut down the garlic a bit and added frozen spinach. I didn't expect it to taste like much and my family wasn't impressed...until they tasted it! I thought it tasted like palak paneer, which I love. Next time I will delete the potatoes and add tofu.