Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
For my veggie head friends
Make and share this Vegetarian Hoppin’ John recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- fresh ground black pepper
- 8 ounces vegetarian sausages, crumbled
- 3 cups cooked long-grain brown rice (or white rice)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat; add in onion and celery; cover, and cook about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add in garlic and thyme, stirring to bring out their flavors.
- Transfer mixture to a slow-cooker; add in black-eye peas, tomatoes, chiles, and stock; season to taste with salt and pepper; cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours.
- About 15 minutes before serving, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook sausage until browned all over; add sausage to slow cooker along with rice; stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
This recipe was good and easy to make.....turned out a little bland though. We added a can of Rotel and some Creole seasoning which helped a lot. With a few extra spices, this is a great dish!
It was very good and soooo easy to make. I generally prefer to just throw all my ingredients into a crockpot and then forget about it but this one was worth the extra few minutes to brown the sausage at the end. This is absolutely a great recipe for vegetarians that occasionally crave country cooking.