Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Another hearty and delicious soup, perfect for winter. This was one of my favorites before I became vegetarian, and I missed it enough that I tried to replicate the beefy flavor. This is now again one of my favorites.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 20 baby carrots, sliced
- 2 cups boxed vegetable broth (e.g. Whole Foods brand)
- 1 cup water
- 1 -2 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup barley, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup vegetarian ground beef, pre-cooked
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- black pepper
- Saute onion in olive oil in a large saucepan until soft. Add garlic, celery, and carrot and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes, or until barley is tender and serve.