David GM's Note:
A great vegetarain version of scottish haggis. Good hot and cold: try a 'Bagpipe bun' creating a sandwich with any left-overs, piccallilli and salad in a bun'. Adapted from the vegan-cookbook website.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 swede, peeled, very finely chopped (or squash)
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, finely chopped
- 125 g porridge oats
- 50 g vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 mushrooms, chopped
- 1 carrot, scrubbed and finely chopped
- 200 g kidney beans, chopped (cooked weight)
- 1 tablespoon yeast extract
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 50 g walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon whiskey or 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
For the mash
- 1Fry the oats in 25 g vegetable oil, stirring constantly until golden brown (about 2 minutes). Empty onto a plate and keep aside.
- 2Wipe out the frying pan, tip in further 25g vegetable oil and fry the onions, 125g swede, mushrooms and carrots until the swede is starting to soften (about 10 minutes). Add the chopped kidney beans and heat through.
- 3Combine the stir fried vegetables with the oats, spices, juices, rapeseed oil and walnuts.
- 4Divide the mixture into 4 ramekins. Cover each one with foil and place in a deep sided roasting tray half filled with boiling water.
- 5Cook in a preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4 and broil for 30 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile cook the potatoes then mash with cream, butter and rosemary. In a separate pan, cook the remaining swede with the ginger. Mash and season with salt and pepper.
- 7When the haggis are cooked, turn the ramekins upside down onto individual plates and serve with the mashed potato and swede.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Haggis
Serving Size: 1 (500 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 643.0
- Calories from Fat 264
- Total Fat 29.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 487.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.7 g
- Sugars 11.1 g
- Protein 16.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: