Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The Moosewood version of African Groundnut Stew. Serve groundnut stew on rice, and along with one of these: hard-boiled eggs, chopped scallions, chopped fresh parsley or cilantro, cubed papaya, sliced bananas, mangos, pineapples, or oranges, grated coconut, whole or crushed peanuts.
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon pressed garlic clove
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 3 cups cubed sweet potatoes (1-inch cubes)
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup apple juice or 1 cup apricot juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups chopped okra
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- Saute onions in the oil for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cayenne and garlic and saute for a couple more minutes.
- Add the cabbage and sweet potatoes and saute, covered, for a few minutes.
- Mix in the juices, salt, ginger, cilantro and tomatoes.
- Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add the okra and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in the peanut butter, place the pan on a heat diffuser, and simmer gently until ready to serve.
- Add more juice or water if the stew is too thick.