1 hr 5 mins
The Moosewood version of African Groundnut Stew. Serve groundnut stew on rice, and along with one of these: hard-boiled eggs, chopped scallions, chopped fresh parsley or cilantro, cubed papaya, sliced bananas, mangos, pineapples, or oranges, grated coconut, whole or crushed peanuts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon pressed garlic clove
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 3 cups cubed sweet potatoes (1-inch cubes)
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup apple juice or 1 cup apricot juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2-2 cups chopped okra
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1Saute onions in the oil for about 10 minutes.
- 2Stir in the cayenne and garlic and saute for a couple more minutes.
- 3Add the cabbage and sweet potatoes and saute, covered, for a few minutes.
- 4Mix in the juices, salt, ginger, cilantro and tomatoes.
- 5Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- 6Add the okra and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- 7Stir in the peanut butter, place the pan on a heat diffuser, and simmer gently until ready to serve.
- 8Add more juice or water if the stew is too thick.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Groundnut Stew
Serving Size: 1 (400 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 308.0
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 860.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 18.1 g
- Protein 9.1 g