Recipe by Brighde
This recipe is from Rose Elliot's Vegetarian cookbook and I have used it for about 15 years now and it is wonderful with nut roasts. We even use it with fries and cheese to make a Vegetarian Quebec Poutine where I work.Do not use a blender to break up the onions. It just doesn't seem to work. Can be frozen and the recipe is easily doubled.
Top Review by Moor Driver
I wish I could give this 10 stars! This is so wonderful. This is so much better than any store bought vegetarian gravy. Don't be scared of the vegemite, it just gives it a really earthy and meaty flavour. Fantastic!!
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 fresh garlic clove, crushed
- 450 ml vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon vegemite or 1 teaspoon marmite
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the onion in the oil in a medium saucepan for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour, and cook for a further 5-10 minutes, until flour and the onion are nut-brown and the onion is soft and slightly pulpy.
- Add the garlic, cook for 1-2 minutes, then gradually stir in the dark vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain the gravy into a clean saucepan (push the onion through the sieve and add the yeast extract and soya sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well, then serve.