Recipe by Charmed
A nicely browned roux and kosher broth mix is my secret to rich vegetarian gravy. If you use olive oil or non-dairy margarine, this gravy would also be acceptable in a vegan diet.
Top Review by maybaby5199110
I used this for Thanksgiving. And everyone one loved it! Super easy. I didn't have gravy master and i used vegetable broth mix. Also i added about 1/4 of white wine grated garlic and soy sauce (very little) and a little cream. Very good!
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons vegetarian chicken flavored broth mix or 2 teaspoons vegetarian beef broth mix (see note)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons very finely minced onions
- 3 tablespoons finely diced mushrooms (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Gravy Master or 1 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet (gravy seasoning and browning sauce)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the water and add the 2 tsp.
- of broth mix.
- Stir to dissolve and set aside.
- Heat the butter, margarine or oil in a small saucepan with the onions and saute until the onions just barely begin to brown.
- (Add the mushrooms with the onions if using) Add the flour and with a whisk, stir until you get a smooth paste and keep whisking and stirring constantly until the mixture turns a nice light to medium golden brown.
- Pour in the broth and whisk vigorously until the flour mixture is dissolved and the mixture is smooth.
- Then continue cooking and stirring and whisking very often until the mixture starts to bubble and becomes thick, at which point you should be stirring pretty much constantly.
- Serve over whatever you like.
- This works just as well with or without the mushrooms.
- Depends on your personal taste.
- NOTE: Kosher broth mix is usually sold as a powder in jars in the kosher food section of the supermarket.
- Two popular brands are Carmel Kosher and Manischewitz; None of them contain any animal products, even the beef and chicken flavors.
- They are even vegan (I checked the ingredients with a vegan website).