Prep 0 mins
Cook 35 mins
They suggest using all three colors of peppers for the dish. From the holiday edition of the magazine.
- 1 cup dried black beans
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 8 slices cheese (optional) or 8 slices soy cheese (optional)
- Prepare the beans. Use 3 cups water and cook on stovetop for 60 minutes after presoak or quick soak. For pressure cooker cook 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cut peppers in half lenghtwise and remove seeds then st4eam cut side down over 1/2 inch boiling water until nearly tender. About 9 minutes. Rinse with cold water then drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, saute the onion until translucent and soft then add the chili, cumin, basil, oregano, beans and vinegar mixing well.
- Stir in the rice, salt and tomato and remove from the heat.
- Fill peppers with bean mixture. Top each half with cheese and place on a shallow baking dish. Bake covered for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Serve Immediately.
- Red Lentil loaf is a recommended accompaniment as well as a Fresh salsa and a mixed greens salad.
I made this recipe tonight, and here are some comments I have about it: * The dish turned out pretty well, after a couple of major modifications to the filling. Made as written, the filling was very bland. I added more salt, some hot sauce, and some fresh, homemade salsa, and that added much-needed flavor to the dish. * I found that it took a lot longer than specified to cook the beans and to properly steam the peppers. Next time I would steam the peppers even longer to make sure they are cooked enough before they are stuffed. To compensate this time, I put them back in the oven for another 10 minutes after the specified 15 minutes. * I did not use any cheese on top and did not miss it. Would recommend/try again, with the above modifications.