Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Slow cooking in the crock pot allows the flavors of this goulash to mellow and blend, and the tempeh gets a chance to absorb some of the sauce.
- 12 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces tempeh, in 3/4 inch dice
- 1 cup carrot, in 1/2 inch dice
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded & chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed, lightly crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) package silken tofu
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Put the mushrooms, tempeh and carrots into a crock pot (no need to steam the tempeh first).
- Combine onions, tomato, bell pepper, garlic and broth in a blender container and puree.
- Add the puree to the crock pot and mix well.
- Add the paprika, parsley, dill, caraway seed, salt and pepper to the crock pot and stir them inches.
- Cover and cook on low heat 8-10 hours.
- Shortly before serving, puree the silken tofu in a blender with a little liquid from the crock pot until very smooth.
- Stir it into the crock pot, add the peas and heat through.
- Serve over cooked noodles, potatoes, rice or other grains.
I followed the recipe exactly and this turned out really well. Even my carnivore husband liked it. I have never used tofu as a puree before but it was really creamy and good. Prep was super easy, I was able to start it before I went to work so it was nice to come home to a ready to eat supper. I will def be making this one again!<br/><br/>On a side not i also have a 6qt slow cooker and on the low setting this was done in just under 9 hours, and it did burn my crock pot. Next time I will use a liner, but it will possibly cook in about 8.
This turned out pretty good. I love that there was not a lot of prep, it was low fat and the creamy sauce is soy based. It was, however, a little bland and it burned on the sides of the crock at the minimum time. Maybe it was supposed to be for a smaller crock (mine is 6 qt)? Anyway, we liked it and would make again with some additional flavors added. Thanks for posting!