Recipe by Sharon123
Miss good goulash and don't want the meat? Try this recipe adapted from Allrecipes! I have tweeked it and added a few things. I hope you enjoy!
Top Review by Chef DMR
I forgot to add the sugar, salt, and pepper in the end and it still tasted great! I think next time I am going to add a little more wine (I'd like more sauce) and add a tad of flour just to thicken up the sauce.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup veggie crumbles (or veggie steak strips)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika (smoked paprika is wonderful!)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, chopped, reserve juice
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (may use grape juice or veg. broth and a tsp. red wine vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Saute the onion, celery and mushrooms 5 minutes, or until just tender.
- Mix in the green pepper and veggie crumbles, and saute 5 minutes more, until the pepper is tender. Mix in the garlic and paprika.
- Stir the tomatoes with their juice into the skillet. Mix in the wine, oregano, caraway seeds and tomato puree. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 25 minutes, until thickened.
- Just before serving, stir in the sugar, and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with egg noodles or rice. Enjoy!