Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
After many trials and errors, trying to produce a vegetarian meat loaf I've finally succeeded. I'm also gluten free which makes producing a no meat loaf even harder. This recipe does require eggs which makes it vegetarian instead of vegan. I still haven't figured out the vegan and gluten-free meat loaf thing. If you're looking for comfort food this is yummy! Enjoy!
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup pecan pieces, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil, dry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, dry
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage, dry
- 4 tablespoons ketchup (for tops of mini loaves)
- Saute onion, carrot, celery until translucent about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute about 3 or 4 more minutes. Set aside and cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas; place in a bowl and mash them with a fork.
- Add cooled onion mixture, soy sauce, pecans, eggs, basil, oregano, and sage to the mashed chickpeas.
- Mix together thoroughly.
- Make sure your mini loaf pan is well oiled.
- Divide the mixture into four loafs.
- Add a light layer of ketchup to the top of the loaves.
- Cover with foil and bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and add a little more ketchup to the tops.
- Bake for 10 more minutes uncovered.