I created this recipe for what my friends and I call "GUMBO FEAST 2011." In the winter, we get together and eat loads of gumbo. Last year, though, I neglected my vegetarian friends, so I created this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Roux
- 236.59 ml gluten-free flour
- 236.59 ml vegetable oil
For the Soup
- 2 (822.13 g) can vegetable broth
- 3 bell peppers, chopped (pick your favorite colors)
- 236.59 ml celery, Chopped
- 1 onion, Chopped
- 453.59 g okra, Chopped
- 226.79 g portabella mushroom, sliced
- 411.06 g can stewed tomatoes
- 44.37 ml Tabasco sauce
- 14.79 ml ground cayenne pepper
- 4.92 ml ground paprika
- 14.79 ml gumbo file
- 1Combine ingredients for roux in a small pan.
- 2Heat on lowest stove-top setting for 5-6 hours or until dark brown. STIR FREQUENTLY (every 10 minutes or so)! Do not cover.
- 3In a large pot, combine ingredients for soup. Cover the pot with a lid.
- 4Heat on medium-low for 5-6 hours.
- 5After the roux and the soup have been cooking for a good 5-6 hours, add the roux to the soup. It will make a very intense sizzling display! Be careful!
- 6Stir well until the gumbo becomes a homogeneous mixture.
- 7Add the Gumbo File to the entire pot when you're ready to serve.
- 8Serve over cooked rice.
Browse Our Top Free Of... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Free Of... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Gluten-Free Gumbo!
Serving Size: 1 (278 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.3
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 140.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 2.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: