Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I created this recipe for what my friends and I call "GUMBO FEAST 2011." In the winter, we get together and eat loads of gumbo. Last year, though, I neglected my vegetarian friends, so I created this recipe.
For the Roux
- 236.59 ml gluten-free flour
- 236.59 ml vegetable oil
For the Soup
- 2 (822.13 g) can vegetable broth
- 3 bell peppers, chopped (pick your favorite colors)
- 236.59 ml celery, Chopped
- 1 onion, Chopped
- 453.59 g okra, Chopped
- 226.79 g portabella mushroom, sliced
- 411.06 g can stewed tomatoes
- 44.37 ml Tabasco sauce
- 14.79 ml ground cayenne pepper
- 4.92 ml ground paprika
- 14.79 ml gumbo file
- Combine ingredients for roux in a small pan.
- Heat on lowest stove-top setting for 5-6 hours or until dark brown. STIR FREQUENTLY (every 10 minutes or so)! Do not cover.
- In a large pot, combine ingredients for soup. Cover the pot with a lid.
- Heat on medium-low for 5-6 hours.
- After the roux and the soup have been cooking for a good 5-6 hours, add the roux to the soup. It will make a very intense sizzling display! Be careful!
- Stir well until the gumbo becomes a homogeneous mixture.
- Add the Gumbo File to the entire pot when you're ready to serve.
- Serve over cooked rice.