Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 hrs
I created this recipe for what my friends and I call "GUMBO FEAST 2011." In the winter, we get together and eat loads of gumbo. Last year, though, I neglected my vegetarian friends, so I created this recipe.
For the Roux
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil
For the Soup
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 3 bell peppers, chopped (pick your favorite colors)
- 1 cup celery, Chopped
- 1 onion, Chopped
- 1 lb okra, Chopped
- 1⁄2 lb portabella mushroom, sliced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 tablespoon gumbo file
- Combine ingredients for roux in a small pan.
- Heat on lowest stove-top setting for 5-6 hours or until dark brown. STIR FREQUENTLY (every 10 minutes or so)! Do not cover.
- In a large pot, combine ingredients for soup. Cover the pot with a lid.
- Heat on medium-low for 5-6 hours.
- After the roux and the soup have been cooking for a good 5-6 hours, add the roux to the soup. It will make a very intense sizzling display! Be careful!
- Stir well until the gumbo becomes a homogeneous mixture.
- Add the Gumbo File to the entire pot when you're ready to serve.
- Serve over cooked rice.