Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
a little middle eastern, a little african, a touch of greek and asian, all around yummy! this is earthy and dark and rich but very easy. i suppose you could use stew beef but you'd need to add more water to allow it to cook longer and soften. next time i might add a bit of nutmeg. you could easily add zucchini or eggplant to this too
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- scant 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup dried shiitake mushroom
- 1 vegetarian beef stock cube
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 225 g vegetarian beef strips (1 pkg, about 1.5 cups chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder (mine has a fairly heavy cinnamon note)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 tablespoons honey (or brown sugar if you're vegan)
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat cheddar cheese (good parmesan could also work) (optional)
- 4 pieces naan bread
- soak the shitakes in the hot water for 15 min or long enough to soften. in the mean time chop the onions and garlic and start sautéing in olive oil.
- when the mushrooms are soft enough to handle, roughly chop, discarding the tough stems but saving the water.
- add the mushrooms, all the soaking water, and all other ingredients besides the bread and cheese to the pan, bring to a boil and simmer on med-low for 30-45 min or until thickened to thick stew consistency.
- stir in the cheese, cut up and warm the bread.
- serve with naan bread to spoon the stew over and the rest of the wine to drink. would go well with a light salad on the side.