Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is adapted from my 365 Ways to Cook Vegetarian cookbook. You could also use fontina cheese.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 large onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 12 slices French baguettes, cut 1/2 inch thick
- 1 1⁄2 cups jarlsberg cheese, shredded
- In a large casserole, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally until soft, 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic and sugar. Continue to cook, stirring often, until onions turn an amber color, 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in flour to coat onions and cook, stirring, 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually add broth, stirring constantly to prevent any lumps from forming.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until soup thickens, 5-7 minutes.
- Add wine, salt and pepper. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Make the toasts: Preheat oven to 425*.
- Cut garlic cloves in half. Rub bread slices with garlic.
- Top each bread slice with cheese. Set on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 4-5 minutes until cheese melts.
- To serve: ladle soup into bowls and float Jarlsberg Garlic Toast on top.
Very good! A bit on the thin side for me (made a vegetarian soup for friends - I would've preferred beef broth myself) but tasted nice.