Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is adapted from my 365 Ways to Cook Vegetarian cookbook. You could also use fontina cheese.
Make and share this Vegetarian French Onion Soup Au Vin With Jarlsberg Garlic Toast recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 large onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 12 slices French baguettes, cut 1/2 inch thick
- 1 1⁄2 cups jarlsberg cheese, shredded
- In a large casserole, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally until soft, 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic and sugar. Continue to cook, stirring often, until onions turn an amber color, 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in flour to coat onions and cook, stirring, 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually add broth, stirring constantly to prevent any lumps from forming.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until soup thickens, 5-7 minutes.
- Add wine, salt and pepper. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Make the toasts: Preheat oven to 425*.
- Cut garlic cloves in half. Rub bread slices with garlic.
- Top each bread slice with cheese. Set on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 4-5 minutes until cheese melts.
- To serve: ladle soup into bowls and float Jarlsberg Garlic Toast on top.
Very good! A bit on the thin side for me (made a vegetarian soup for friends - I would've preferred beef broth myself) but tasted nice.