Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A vegetarian version of the classic French Onion Soup (typically made with beef broth)
- 2 large onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 (14 ounce) cans Swanson vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- swiss cheese or provolone cheese or gruyere cheese
- French bread or other bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice French bread into 1 inch slices. Place on baking sheet and bake until toasted. Set aside.
- Cut onions in half, and slice.
- Wet large pot with olive oil. Melt butter. Add sliced onions and saute till translucent. Add sugar and continue to cook onions on med-high heat until the onions are caramelized. Add flour and mix thoroughly. (20-30 minutes in total for this step from start to finish).
- Add wine and scrape bottom of pot. Add Broth and an additional can of water. Bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Set Broiler to high.
- Spoon soup into bowls. Add a slice of bread and cheese to top bread. Place to broil until cheese is melted and browned. Eat and enjoy!
- *Slices of cheese are better, as they seems to form a nicer layer.