Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This recipe uses vegetable stock instead of the traditional beef broth, creating a delicious french onion soup that is vegetarian friendly. Great for those chilly autumn days.
- Peel the onions and slice into fine rings.
- Heat the butter in a large pan, add onion and cook slowly over low heat for about 20 minutes, or until very tender.
- Add the sugar and flour and cook, stirring, for another 1-2 minutes until mixture is starting to turn golden.
- Stir in stock and simmer, covered, over low heat for 1 hour.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to moderate 350 degrees.
- Cut bread sticks into 1/2 inch slices.
- Bake 20 minutes, turning once, until the slices are dry and golden.
- Top each slice with some grated cheese and place under hot grill until cheese has melted.
- Serve soup topped with toasted cheese croutons.
Nice recipe. I added a bit of garlic and cumin to it. Also, I skipped the butter to save on fat and calories and I microwaved the onions for 7 minutes or until soft and then transferred to the pan for browning with a bit of Pam spray to prevent sticking.
pretty good stuff. =]
I took this soup to our teachers annual soup dinner, it was a hit. Thanks