2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 45 mins
Aric Ross's Note:
This recipe uses vegetable stock instead of the traditional beef broth, creating a delicious french onion soup that is vegetarian friendly. Great for those chilly autumn days.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel the onions and slice into fine rings.
- 2Heat the butter in a large pan, add onion and cook slowly over low heat for about 20 minutes, or until very tender.
- 3Add the sugar and flour and cook, stirring, for another 1-2 minutes until mixture is starting to turn golden.
- 4Stir in stock and simmer, covered, over low heat for 1 hour.
- 5Season with salt and pepper.
- 6Preheat oven to moderate 350 degrees.
- 7Cut bread sticks into 1/2 inch slices.
- 8Bake 20 minutes, turning once, until the slices are dry and golden.
- 9Top each slice with some grated cheese and place under hot grill until cheese has melted.
- 10Serve soup topped with toasted cheese croutons.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian French Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 412.7
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 46.9 mg
- Sodium 481.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 11.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: