Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Vegetarians, try this!!! Even non-vegetarians would like this and if they absolutely had to, they could add chicken or beef.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large green peppers or 2 large orange peppers or 2 large red peppers or 2 large yellow peppers
- 1 medium onion
- 6 ounces portabella mushrooms
- 16 ounces loaf focaccia bread
- 1⁄4 cup dijon-style mustard
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Slice bread in half lengthwise.
- Slice peppers into 1/8 inch slices.
- Slice onion and mushrooms.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add peppers and onions, cooking till they begin to soften.
- Add mushrooms and cook till mushrooms are softened.
- Spread mustard on each half of bread.
- Top one half with mushroom mixture, sprinkle with cheese.
- Place the other half of the bread on top the half with the mushroom mixture.
- Cut into 8 slices.
Wonderful! I am not a vegetarian by any stretch of the imagination but I am a mushroom lover and these were fantastic. I cut the recipe down to make 2 sandwiches with no problem ~ I used focaccia rolls from the bakery. I will be making this over and over ~ thanks for posting a keeper! Made for PAC Fall 2008.
FANTASTIC!!! Vegetarian or not you will never miss meat with this sandwich. It's delicious and filling. I made this recipe for one serving using a hard roll because I could not find any focaccia bread in my store, but I will keep looking for it because I can only imagine it would elevate this to 10 star recipe. The mustard gives it a nice zip and who doesn't like cheese? ..lol.. Bobtail, this sandwich will be a regular item on my menu. Thank you!
I loved this, I found the bread at the market to use in the recipe!