Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is my all time favorite stir-fry. It has such a yummy flavor and it tastes just as good as some Chinese foods I've had at restaurants. You'll love this one, i guarantee it.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 medium tofu, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 head bok choy, chopped (around 1 pound)
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and halved
- In bowl, whisk together broth, oyster sauce, cornstarch, soy sauce, sugar and 1/2 cup water. Set aside.
- Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes, toss with 5 spice powder. In wok or skillet, heat half of the oil over medium high. Stir-fry tofu for 4 minutes (or until golden). Transfer to paper towel lined plate.
- Heat remaining oil over medium high heat, stir-fry garlic and hot pepper flakes for 30 seconds.
- Add bok choy and mushrooms, stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Stir in tofu and broth mixture, bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until thickened and vegetables are softened (around three minutes). Serve over rice.
Declicious!! I make this all the time now...so healthy, easy and ridiculously tasty! I love the sauce!
This was really good, and though I expected to be the only one to eat it (it was the no meat course for family Chinese night), it was gobbled up in no time. The only change I made was to substitute potato starch for cornstarch because that's what I have, and I added a quarter of a bulb onion thinly sliced because I was chopping the onion for another dish, and had some left over (it was good, though, and I'll probably add it again). I'll definitely make this again as it's an easy way to avoid meat.
Delicious!! I made this for dinner tonight and everyone really enjoyed it!! I did change up the veggies in order to use my CSA veggies. I used carrots, celery, zucchini, sweet onion, green beans and a yellow pepper. I also doubled the sauce recipe since I used quite a bit more veggies. I did have to substitute worchestershire for the oyster sauce because we were out, but it was delicious anyway!! Wouldn't have know the difference actually. Served over brown rice. Will definitely be making this again!!