Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I adapted several Morrocan recipes to create this over-the-top tagine. It takes a bit of work, and can be cooked the day before serving. I like to serve it with couscous and pita bread.
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons black mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons dried coriander
- 4 cups vegetable broth or 4 cups water
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup black kalamata olive, cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 8 dried figs, chopped
- 4 cups fresh Baby Spinach
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In dutch oven, saute red onion in olive oil over medium heat til soft, then add garlic and saute 1 more minute.
- In small bowl, combine cinnamon, black mustard seed, and dried coriander. Make a space in center of pot and add the spices, letting them sit 45 seconds or until seeds pop and spices are very fragrant. Stir the spices in with onion and garlic.
- Add vegetable broth or water.
- Add cooked chickpeas.
- Bring all to boil over medium heat, then add black kalamata olives. Stir and cover the dish.
- Bake in oven1 hour.
- Meanwhile, chop fresh coriander and mix in large bowl with about 8 chopped figs. Add baby spinach and combine.
- After cooking 1 hour, add spinach/fig mixture to top of dutch oven, replace cover, and cook one 1/2 hour more.
- Stir before serving.