Recipe by Sharon123
I wanted to make some good vegetarian enchiladas, but couldn't find exactly what I wanted, so came up with this recipe! It turned out so good, I have to post so I can make again. I hope you enjoy it too! If you are a meat eater, feel free to add some chicken or beef. I used green chile enchilada sauce this time, but will try it with red enchilada sauce next time.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup baby portobella mixed mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups cooked pinto beans (left whole, or use black beans)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 lb mexican four cheese blend, shredded (or a mix of cheddar and mozzarella)
- 6 whole wheat tortillas (8-inch tortillas)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Heat a 10" skillet and add the olive oil to the pan. Put onions, bell pepper, garlic, and mushrooms in the pan.
- Cook on medium heat until onions are browned and starting to caramelize, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add ground cumin and chili powder to taste. Mix to incorporate. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, place refried beans and whole beans. Add in onion/mushroom mixture, salsa, and 1/2 cup cheese. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill tortillas evenly with the mix and roll up. Place in 9" x 13" baking pan seam side down. Pour enchilada sauce evenly over the top of the enchiladas. Top with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake at 350*F. for about 25 minutes.
- Note: I actually crammed 7 tortillas into my pan, there is enough filling to do this.