Vegetarian or not, you've got to try this one! I have even converted eggplant haters with this! It is SO good! Very forgiving too you can make ahead partially or completely and freeze or hold in fridge a day or until needed. Enjoy!
- 3 eggplants
- 1 (24 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained well and chopped
- 48 ounces newman's own socarooni spaghetti sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) package no-boil lasagna noodles
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (7 ounce) container pesto sauce (butoni)
- 3⁄4 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- Slice eggplant in 1/4" slice, spray with Pam on both sides and broil both sides in batches till soft and brown, set aside.
- Put oven to bake at 350°F.
- In large lasagna pan layer as follows:.
- 1/3 spaghetti sauce.
- 1/3 lasagna sheets.
- 1/3 spaghetti sauce.
- 1/2 the eggplant.
- 1/2 the mozzarella.
- 1/3 lasagne sheets.
- remaining spaghetti sauce.
- chopped red peppers.
- remaining lasagna sheets.
- remaining eggplant.
- Spread Pesto over top layer of eggplant.
- make white sauce as follows,.
- melt butter in saucepan, add flour cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk and whisk until thickened. Whisk grated cheese in and stir until smooth.
- Pour white sauce over casserole and bake 30 minutes until bubbly and heated through.
Wow, this recipe was absolutely AMAZING. I made a few changes, but nothing major. I cut the recipe in half and it made about 6-8 servings. I salted, rinsed, and dried the eggplant before baking (a MUST), it draws out moisture and changes the taste. I used a different type of sauce and omitted the red peppers because I'm not a fan of them (replaced peppers with extra eggplant). I also didn't use all of the mozzarella cheese, I just didn't need it. The directions are missing when to put in the second half of the mozzarella, so I just added it on top of the pesto. I also used soy milk, not cow's milk, and it was perfect. This is my new favorite lasagna recipe. Very easy and it would definitely please a crowd. I will be entertaining guests with this. Thank You for sharing!
The instructions are simple and the lasagna turned out fabulous! It was the first time I've made lasagna and my husband was VERY impressed..even I was. I added some more ingredients, such as spinach, ricotta cheese, mushrooms, garlic, and feta cheese...but I'm sure I could have been great even without those ingredients. Thanks so much for the recipe...I WILL make lasagna again!
This was absolutely fantastic! I did use only 1/2 the amount of the roasted red pepper as I was afraid it would be to over powering with the whole amount. EVERYONE loved it, even those who don't really like eggplant. I will definitely add this to my list of favorites!