Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
A full-flavoured, traditional Chinese soup perfect for starters or even for lunch on a cold day. Very quick and very easy.
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 2 pints vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 spring onions, chopped, to garnish
- 10 coriander sprigs, to garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
- With the flat of a heavy knife, crush the lemongrass stalks.
- Put the stock in a wok and bring to simmering point. Add lemongrass, salt, pepper, sugar and lemon juice and stir to mix well. Simmer gently for 10 minutes. Remove the lemongrass stalks and discard.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg white lightly and combine with the sesame oil. Pour into the stock in a very slow, thin stream. Using chopsticks, pull the egg gently into strands by stirring in a figure of 8 motion.
- Turn into a soup tureen or individual bowls, garnish with the coriander and spring onions and serve at once.