Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a must try again from the tv show The Cook and The Chef.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 garlic clove, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 green chili pepper, chopped finely
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 carrots, cut into small cubes
- 1⁄2 cup cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 potato, boiled and mashed
- 100 ml water
- 100 g firm tofu, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander
- For the filling:.
- Heat the oil, add the cumin and mustard seeds. Add the ginger, garlic clove then tumeric, green chili, onions, carrots and stir for a minute. Add the cabbage, tofu and potatoes and stir again. Add some water and cook covered for about 7-8 minutes until the vegetables become soft and the water is dried up. Add the salt and garam masala and stir well. Remove from heat and set aside.
- For a variation on the filling you can add chopped bok choy, spinach, spring onion.
- For the pastry :.
- Mix together all ingredients and knead to a ball.This needs a long knead until the dough is very soft, about 10-12 minutes. Wrap and rest for at least an hour.
- To make the dumpling shape:.
- Take a knob of dough and roll out into small rounds about 10 cm in diameter. Spoon a little filling (heaped teaspoon) in the centre and moisten the edge with a little water. Press edges together overlapping the top slightly to form a pleat and continue all around to create a half moon shape with pleats all around the edge.
- Steam for about 15 minutes until they are swollen and cooked through.