Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 mins
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup sour milk (1 c. lowfat milk + 1 tbsp. vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Stir together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Beat the egg, milk and oil together.
- Add the liquids to the flour mixture and stir just until blended.
- Pour the batter onto a greased hot griddle.
- Serve with fresh fruit slices, unsweetened applesauce or low-calorie syrup.
These taste soooo good, with minimum cooking effort! I substituted olive oil for the vegetable oil and it tasted great!
Yummy and easy to make. Great weekend breakfast food. My husband and son gobbled them up and so did I!
This recipe made lovely thick, fluffy pancakes, and plenty of them too (nine large) I made exactly as directed but with all plain flour as I didn't have any wholemeal in. Next time I'll try halving the oil as it seems quite a bit and I think it could manage without that amount.
I served with raspberry puree and they were lush!