For those who don't like meat but want a totally rich French sandwich. French food was made for primarily meat lovers but I vegi-fied this classic. This is the ultimate French comfort food. (Served with a side salad instead of fries so I don't feel as guilty, haha.) Definitely not vegan friendly because I don't think soy butter and soy cheese could do this right, but you're welcome to try it as such. A great sandwich to have on a rainy day curled up with a good book. IMPORTANT NOTE: Nutritional info is inaccurate because I had to use real ham as an ingredient input or else the recipe wouldn't submit, says that "tofu sandwich slices" (and many other variations I typed) are not recognized in the database. Overall fat and calories are really lower than shown, unless you're a meat lover using real ham. I use Smart Deli brand ham-flavored tofu sandwich slices, they're really thin which is why I use 6 pieces. It didn't recognize as an ingredient but it should because tofu slices are central to many vegetarian and vegan recipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter (melted)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (this is just a guess)
- 2 large slice white bread (you need to have thick and wide country-style slices, like Rudy's Organic Canadian White or your own)
- 6 slices ham (INPUT ERROR, IT'S REALLY FAKE HAM! I use Smart Deli brand ham-flavored tofu, which is not in the 'Za)
- 2 slices swiss cheese
- 2 slices yogurt cheese (I use plain but herbed yogurt cheese would be yummy in this)
- 2 slices gruyere cheese
- 3 tablespoons shredded gruyere cheese (shredded Swiss is good, so is shredded yogurt cheese, or a mix of the 3)
- 1Lightly cook the ham (whether it's real or not) in a frying pan on low heat so the edges are nice and crispy and it can help melt the cheeses from the inside. Note that tofu "ham" has natural moisture so you don't have to use cooking spray like you would with real ham. It tastes good a little smoky but try not to burn it.
- 2Using a pastry or BBQ brush, brush one side of each slice with the melted butter. 1 tbsp should do it.
- 3Spread the mustard on the other sides of the bread: 2 tbsp was just a guess; spread the mustard as thin or thick as you'd like.
- 4Layer the ham and cheese on the bread however you'd like. Sometimes I like to just alternate the cheeses and put the ham in the center, other times I like to arrange it differently.
- 5Cook it on medium-low heat in the frying pan so all the cheeses melt but not too hot or else the bread will burn. Flip it every 30 seconds or so and use a little extra butter in the pan if you have to.
- 6Cook it until one side is totally done and the other side still hasn't completely browned yet.
- 7On the un-browned side, pour on the shredded cheese. Cook it face down on the frying pan on low heat until singed.
- 8Cut in half and serve with pomme frites or a nice endive salad and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Croque Monsieur (Gourmet Grilled Cheese W/ Tofu Ham)
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 647.6
- Calories from Fat 472
- Total Fat 52.5 g
- Saturated Fat 31.6 g
- Cholesterol 165.4 mg
- Sodium 780.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 39.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: