Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a healthy alternate to canned soup that is high in sodium. I found this recipe originally on the Nesco website and adapted it for my taste and for use in a crock pot.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) bag dried split peas, rinsed and cleaned
- water (see below)
- 1 cup regular uncooked long grain rice
- 1⁄4 cup reduced fat margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat fry pan and add oil, then onion, garlic, celery, and carrots.
- Saute vegetables until soft.
- Add sauteed vegetables to 6-quart crock pot.
- Then add split peas and enough water to half full capacity.
- Cover and cook on high for four hours until peas are tender.
- Stir in rice and recover. Cook rice for another two hours until rice is tender. Add additional water if necessary to keep it at about half full capacity.
- Before serving, add pepper and margarine and stir until melted.
I made this tonight with corn bread and it was hearty and delicious! I love the low sodium aspect. Its going in my pile of favs. Thank you!