Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 hrs
From Linda Larsen, Your Guide to Busy Cooks at about.com
Make and share this Vegetarian Crock Pot Spaghetti Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with seasonings, undrained
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook onions and carrots in oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Stir and cook for 4-5 minutes until tender. Add mushrooms and bell pepper and stir. Place vegetables into bottom of 4-5 quart crock pot and add remaining ingredients except spaghetti pasta and cheese.
- Cover crock pot and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Uncover, stir thoroughly, then leave cover off crock pot and turn heat to high.
- Cook, uncovered, for 1 more hour to thicken sauce.
- At this point the sauce can be frozen. Divide into smaller portions and cool in refrigerator.
- Wrap, label, and freeze the sauce up to 3 months.
- To thaw and reheat, thaw sauce overnight in refrigerator.
- Pour into skillet and heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, about 15-20 minutes or until sauce bubbles and is thoroughly heated.
- You can even cook the pasta until almost tender and combine it with the cooled sauce. Freeze as directed, and thaw as directed. You may need to add 1/4-1/3 cup water when reheating if freezing the pasta in the sauce.
- Or you can go ahead and serve sauce with cooked spaghetti and grated Parmesan cheese. 6 servings.
This sauce is great. I used diced tomatoes and then added dried basil and oregano. 1 bay leaf also. I omitted the salt and pepper. It was very easy to do. Thanks Dreamer :) Made for Holiday tag
PERFECT! This speghetti sauce is a perfect combination of saucy texture with nutritious veggies easily hidden! ;) I made exactly as is except I left out the mushrooms (DD won't touch anything with mushrooms). I've been looking for the perfect speghetti sauce and I think I've finally found it! I love how it can cook in the slow cooker and I can freeze some for later. I put everything in the crock pot at 8am, cooked it on high, and it was ready by noon. Thank You!!! Made for veg*n swap.
Thank you for sharing this recipe! I've made huge batches of it to freeze several times now. The food processor makes it a simple process. My fella thought the carrots were weird, so now I shred them instead of chop, so we get the flavor without the noticeable chunks.<br/><br/>I've been experimenting with adding Italian sausage seasonings (garlic, red pepper flakes, fennel seed, etc), which is really good, too.<br/><br/>I shared your recipe on my blog: theexperimentalgardener.blogspot.com<br/><br/>Thanks again!