Prep 15 mins
Cook 24 hrs
- 2 cups dried lima beans
- 8 cups cold water
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper
- Soak lima beans in cold water overnight.
- Drain the lima beans and rinse in several changes of water to float away as many loosened shells as possible.
- Place beans in crock pot with 8 cups fresh water, the chopped onion, carrot, garlic and bouillon cube.
- Cover tightly and cook 18 to 24 hours, until beans are very tender.
- Remove from heat and let cool a little.
- In the meantime, heat the butter in a skillet and saute the finely diced onion until it is very brown.
- Ladle a small amount of soup at a time into blender or bowl of a food processor and puree until all soup is pureed.
- Return to pot and stir in browned onions.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
Excellent vegetarian soup recipe that couldn't be easier. Although I didn't puree the soup and added 3 cut-up carrots during the last 3 hours of cooking it was done in about 12 hours on high in a 6-quart crockpot. We served this delicious soup with Sahara's Lowfat Honey Buttermilk Rolls recipe#54544 for a great middle-of-the week vegetarian meal. Thanks Dancer for posting another winner.
JUST WONDERFUL. WOW!!!
I did not puree it but enjoyed the creaminess of the whole beans. It has a very subtle flavor that took me a few spoonfuls to get into but I really enjoyed it after that. It is very comforting and light. The easiness alone will bring me back to it!