When I have that chinese food craving, but don't want to indulge on very fatty convenience food. It's easy and open to a lot of alteration/add ons when it comes to vegetable. Veganize by omitting the egg and increasing the water amount. Turns out nicely as well. I like to use cabbage to my basic version. I do not deep fry, just fry them with a little oil, they turn out nicely and crisp.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 125 g flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 150 ml hot water
- oil (canola or peanut for baking)
- 200 g firm tofu (crumbled)
- 1 carrot (julienned, or tiny cubes)
- 1 small red onion (chopped thinly in cubes)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 100 g bean sprouts (chopped roughly)
- soy sauce (dark and light if preferred)
- sambal oelek
- sesame oil (to your liking)
- oil (canola or peanut for frying)
- 2Add flour and corn starch to a bowl.
- 3Add salt and then hot water.
- 4Stir until dough forms.
- 5Optional: add 1 egg and beat until batter is of creamy consistency.
- 6Heat oil in a pan and add batter with a spoon and let dough cover the pan thinly.
- 7Bake like pancakes on both sides until dough has set.
- 8I usally get 6-8 spring roll wrappers out of this batter.
- 10Heat oil in a pan, add onion, carrots and garlic and let fry until translucent.
- 11Add crumbled tofu (minced meat consistency/shape) and stir.
- 12Add soy sauce(s), sambal oelek (to taste, I like a lot) and sesame oil.
- 13Let fry until hot.
- 14Now add beansprouts and take off heat.
- 15Add filling to pancake/roll wrappers and fold edges in and roll up.
- 16Heat oil (just cover the pan with oil) and fry spring rolls until lightly browned and crisp.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Crispy Spring Rolls (Homemade)
Serving Size: 1 (849 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 860.8
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 186.0 mg
- Sodium 162.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 136.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.7 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 44.8 g